Layout Design Blodwell Buildings The Art of Compromise Photography Llanrhaiadr Mochnant Scenery Signal Box Baseboards Goods Yard Track 45XX Apa Box EM Lcut Creative Travel Backscene Concepts Railway Exhibitions TVR USA Upwold 14XX Anyrail Bridge Cuba Cycling Fencing Lorry Narrow Gauge Point rodding Points Templot Turnouts West Maryland Books C+L Fiddleyard GWR Hales OO9 Phil Parker Rolling Stock Signals State of the hobby Tillig Warley Weighbridge trams 2012 AC Railbus Albion Yard Allt-y-Graban Rd Apa Valley Balloch Pier Bas Bath Green Park Brickwork Bridgnorth Bryn-y-Felin CSX Charmouth Clarendon Class 25 Cliff Railway Coldrennick Road Corris Crich DCC Disused Railways Dukedog EMGS Edwin Smith Electrics Emett France Gloucestershire & Warwickshire HO Hobbies Hope under Dinmore Hospital Gates Iain Rice Iliffe Stokes Inspiration Ireland Kings Lynn La Baraque Lasercut Leamington & Warwick Locos MSTS Mainly Trains Military Modeling Mishaps N guage NEC OOn3 Percy Pier Railway Porth y Waen Preserved Railways RTR SMP Seend Sentinel Sketchup St Minions Stockholm TGV TRAX Tansey Bank Techniques Technology Tim Horn Trade Trees Ultrascale Veldhoveh 1935 Watertank Williamsport diorama manning wardle painting procrastination pug ships simulators
Monday, 24 September 2018
A lousy photo, but a quick snap to show progress on my "quick" Barclay well tank build.
Whistle and clack valves should be finished tonight, along with rear frame extensions.
I was originally going to keep it in black, but I think it will end up in green.
Wednesday, 12 September 2018
Rails Round the Rectory might be a micro layout, but it still required seven trees to form both the wooded end of the layout and to balance that out visually at the graveyard end. In the past, the few trees I've made have been knarled and sparse Welsh hillside ones. An overgrown rectory garden calls for quite a different look.
Somewhere I have a detailed plan of the trees in the garden at Cadeby, for use if I ever build the larger version. On RRtR I decided generic Woodland Scenic armatures would suffice, with differences in leave and branch materials to give a sense of variation. This sped up construction considerably.
The slow bit comes with the post-construction trimming. I haven't started that on this one so it looks rather too dense and has those telltale horsehair loops. The loops need two cuts, to remove part of the material otherwise they still look like loops. Apart from removing the majority of the straggling branches the other main trim is to cut in horizontally to give a more layered effect.
I've never managed to finish counting the trees in our current garden. In places, they are as overgrown as the ones at Cadeby were. In reality, that means there is much less space between them than you would expect, and very few of them have a clear shape. I did think about trying to replicate that, but the catch would be losing some of the possible viewpoints on the layout. I might yet fill in some of the below canopy gaps with substantial shrubs once I've discovered what does and doesn't work as a cameo view.
I've been struggling to get decent photos of the layout at this stage in its construction. It really needs outdoor lighting
|Trying out possible combinations of trees. |
Looking back at this I realise I made an eighth tree that I seem to have lost somewhere