So today I decided I really should get some progress made before getting buried in Xmas preparations and a couple of new work assignments that will probably take me out of the country once again.
I had to buy a new soldering iron a few months ago, but in the end never got to take it out of its packet. SO when I did today to start work on the layout I was taken aback to discover just how short a power cable it came with. Fine if you have a desktop socket on a workbench, but not for me. I could have used an extension lead you are thinking, but that would be to forget that it is Xmas and every extension lead in the house has been re-purposed for the festivities.
To some extent I could compensate because the baseboard is so light it is relatively easy to take it to the tool rather than the other way around, but it made everything very awkward, that's my excuse for what follows...
My plan had been to use Tillig's own power clips to attach to the rails, and then solder drop wires through the baseboard from those. I thought this would be less obtrusive than soldering wires direct to the rail with the power clips being relatively easy to hide under ballast.
Unfortunately whatever the trick is to attaching these clips I haven't worked it out yet and having bent several out of shape without them coming any closer to gripping the rail I moved on to plan B and soldering the droppers directly.
Had I thought things through in advance I would have made provision to do this at an earlier stage by cutting away more of the sleeper webs and removing the chemical blackening that the rail has. Trying to do this with the rail and sleepers already assembled wasn't that easy. It probably would have been if I had put everything down and started again tomorrow evening. It usually is. It would also probably been easier if at this point I'd changed the wire I was using, but having already cut some to length I ploughed on. Big mistake.
The net result was I've ended up with some problematic connections, including one dropper that seems determined not to be soldered at all. Unfortunately repeated efforts have probably made the situation worse, so tomorrow some radical cleaning up will be called for before I start again.
The good news I guess is that the track is actually laid now, and mostly connected to the DCC bus. For such a simple track plan I've probably made things a lot more difficult for myself than I needed
Oh then there is the question of the point mechanism. The use of the DPDT is proving problematical. I suspect there is just a little too much springiness in the wire I've got connecting it to the tie bar, but the tie bar also seems to be lifting rather than sliding. I need a think. I can probably put a collar round the wire to alleviate the springiness.
Layout Design Blodwell Buildings The Art of Compromise Photography Llanrhaiadr Mochnant Scenery Signal Box Baseboards Goods Yard Track 45XX Apa Box EM Lcut Creative Travel Backscene Concepts Railway Exhibitions TVR USA Upwold 14XX Anyrail Bridge Cuba Cycling Fencing Lorry Narrow Gauge Point rodding Points Templot Turnouts West Maryland Books C+L Fiddleyard GWR Hales OO9 Phil Parker Rolling Stock Signals State of the hobby Tillig Warley Weighbridge trams 2012 AC Railbus Albion Yard Allt-y-Graban Rd Apa Valley Balloch Pier Bas Bath Green Park Brickwork Bridgnorth Bryn-y-Felin CSX Charmouth Clarendon Class 25 Cliff Railway Coldrennick Road Corris Crich DCC Disused Railways Dukedog EMGS Edwin Smith Electrics Emett France Gloucestershire & Warwickshire HO Hobbies Hope under Dinmore Hospital Gates Iain Rice Iliffe Stokes Inspiration Ireland Kings Lynn La Baraque Lasercut Leamington & Warwick Locos MSTS Mainly Trains Military Modeling Mishaps N guage NEC OOn3 Percy Pier Railway Porth y Waen Preserved Railways RTR SMP Seend Sentinel Sketchup St Minions Stockholm TGV TRAX Tansey Bank Techniques Technology Tim Horn Trade Trees Ultrascale Veldhoveh 1935 Watertank Williamsport diorama manning wardle painting procrastination pug ships simulators