Thursday 19 January 2023

The Final Countdown.

We now have a  date for our move to Shropshire. Unfortunately, a bout of post-Xmas illnesses means we are woefully unready. Today we are very sadly saying goodbye to our feral cats, who are being rehomed. It wouldn't have been fair to move them to a house with a small garden in the middle of a village. It is pretty heartbreaking. One of them is staying with us because she has become my office cat.

My next job is to move the remains of the ELR. Thank goodness I built it so all of it it can be carried by one man.

I'm expecting it to be a long time before trains run again, in any gauge. On the ELR - now the Ercall Light Railway- I'm going to have to rethink coaching stock as well since the ruling radius will be even tighter. Whilst Tug is definitely too big for the line I think I'll need a BE loco as well for the sake of the neighbours.

Back to Xmas. I thought I had escaped the curse of well-meaning presents that are railway tat. My wife disabused me of this on our second Xmas, with the children.



3 comments:

  1. Hi James,
    I hope that your move goes as well as these things can...we've been planning a similar move and keeping an eye on what's available, albeit from Kent to "somewhere in the Welsh Borders", for a couple of years.
    Though it looks likely to be at least another year before we can put the plan into action, we're also on standby to help with a friend's (hopefully) imminent move from Dover to the Valleys; it's stressful enough just being on the sidelines without actually being directly involved!
    All the best,
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. It seems to get more stressful with age. It doesn't help that our last two moves have had an element of both up and downsizing to them. You get the stress of having to part with things combined with the expense of having to buy more things..

      I'm looking forward to being back near the borders. The first weekend in Betws-y-Coed is already booked. We haven't discounted moving over the border at some point in the future.

      Good luck with your own househunting.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the move James. When we were renting we were forced into moving a number of times, and I know the issue with the amount of space yoyoing up and down. Certainly adds to the stress. Fingers crossed you get settled soon and can get back to relaxing with a train or two.

    ReplyDelete