Thursday 15 August 2024

Next stop Mallingford

 With the skips finished, I've been working in parallel on one of the late Peter Farley's Rustons to run with them.

Initially, I was going to super-detail it, but I think now it will end up as a loco for the grandchildren. I will add some cab detail, though. Now, I just have to find where I put the rest of the kit.



As mentioned last week, Gerralt Rd now has a proper home, which will encourage progress. I've been working on a few things behind the scenes, but I'm not ready to make final decisions about the overall composition. It is really helping to have it mounted at the intended viewing angle, and I've already decided I need to increase the height of the limekilns. Perhaps not clear from the photos it is at eye-level when I'm on my office chair. My big dilemma is where to place a level crossing. I know I want one, so I can recreate some iconic photos of the Tanat Valley, but I'm struggling to work out whether it should be on the far left or to the centre-left and whether it is angled left to right or right to left. 

James Hilton's original plan included a length of redundant track .I might even be tempted to echo that by adding a disconnected siding to a typical TVR goods shed. Building the 4mm version for the original Apa Valley was an absolute joy. 


The photo makes the Mosslanda shelves appear wider than they are. i still haven't decided what I'm doing with them.The longer one is most likely to end up as a Titchfield Thunderbolt cameo, especially now this has arrived:














The shorter one might end up being more multipurpose, building two or three scenes to slot into it. My first thoughts were either a steam era TVR station, perhaps even a back-dated Gerralt Rd,or something based on the Widened Lines, to make my 24 and coaches more at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment