Saturday 20 July 2013

Porth y Waen

My first exposure to the Tanat Valley came via John Allison's Porth y Waen O gauge layout, described in the October 1977 Railway Modeller. John was well known for his role in the Warley Model Railway Club, and was much mourned when he  died earlier this year.

My back collection of RMs disappeared in a series of unfortunate events, so I recently got hold of the relevant issue via ebay.

I'd forgotten that a) as far as I can see it didn't mention the Tanat Valley and b) the Layout of the Month was Tony Ross's Lower Hemlock that I rather liked at the time.

As usual looking through a back issue of RM makes you think about how crude things were in those days. I remember the early Jouef Class 40 as being a real landmark in RTR quality, but the photos show just how crude it was. Also striking is the number of traders who are no longer around.  I loved the advert for Modelmania in Norbury "I not only give free advice, I also sell things"

Talking of which I got an email recently from Phil Barlett, whose father bought my father's old model shop in Coventry. As is so often the case this became a small world/6 degrees of Kevin Bacon conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment