Tuesday 29 November 2022

OOn3

This is almost an aide memoir for me.

I think I've got an OOn3 plan in my head that works. Based, on all things, on a tramway plan that appeared in Voie Libre a few years ago. It should fit perfectly on top of an Ikea Kallax unit. It is reminiscent of the Clun Valley Tramway but a lot simpler. In particular I don't think it will require much stock. I'm thinking two working locos, one static one, a railcar, three coaches and a handful of wagons. I've worked out sources for all of them.

As for the fictional location, I'm returning to one of my early OO9 layouts.

This was Hales. I was rather fond of it. I built a static OOn3 version a couple of years later that I never photographed.  The concept is a general carrier 3ft line with aspirations to link Market Drayton with Shrewsbury that ended up only getting as far as Hodnet, but later extended to a quarry at Hales as a mineral extension.

I might even repurpose some of the Apa Valley buildings.

If anyone recognizes the station building I used on Hales I would be very grateful. I think it was an HO kit. I could use the wills kit but it is both too wide and too recognisable.



The beginnings of a plan. I slipped in the double slip in homage to Iain Rice, but it overcomplicates it.

The line in the foreground that run off the on-scene turntable are the loco and railcar sheds. I might or might not extend one into the fiddle yard to provide a "virtual" shed larger than the one modeled.

The middle road would be a carriage shed, again possibly running into the fiddle yard to solve an operational problem I came across at 3am this morning...

On the other hand, I want the passenger facilities to cause a bit of an operational problem, to make the operation more interesting and to add a touch of the Schull & Skibbereen atmosphere, with passengers unable to leave or board the train until a shunt has taken place. 

That leaves the goods facilities. I envisaged the goods shed to be on the headshunt, but now I'm thinking that it is a case of choosing between the goods shed or a carriage shed.





3 comments:

  1. I believe that station building might be a Heljan 714 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323771600350

    Cheers

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim. Yes, that is the one. I know there was another Heljan station I built but didn't use because it didn't look British enough.

      Delete
  2. Thinks out loud: Could I add a carriage shed/goods shed siding running in from the fiddle yard, not from a turnout in the scenic section?

    ReplyDelete