Tuesday 27 May 2014

Good days...and bad

I have to be in the mood for modelling. Partly that is psychological, but not entirely.

I was reminded of this today when trying to do what would normally be a dead simple soldering job.

It took me ages to realise that my eyes, which aren't renowned for focusing on the same point in space at the best of times, weren't co-operating withe each other, and one look in the mirror revealed just how tired they were. On top of that I wasn't wearing my modelling pair of glasses and I didn't have the spotlight on the workplace because the soldering iron was using the plug socket.

Oh yes, and I'd picked up the wrong solder from the draw.

We won't even mention the unexpected presence of a small dog.

At times like this, when a five minute job has taken forty five minutes, it would be easy to give up. But it is much better just to down tools and come back to the job at a latter point when it will all be much easier.

One reason it will be easier is because I will have thought of a better way of doing things. In this case I suspect that will mean running up a couple of cheap and cheerful jigs and adopting more of a production line approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment