Tuesday 11 October 2022

Iain Rice

I'm sure many pages of blogs and magazines will be focussed on the sad loss of Iain Rice. It is hard to add anything to them except, like so many others, to acknowledge the massive debt I owe a man I never met and yet felt I knew. 

His books have a section of their own on my bookcases. His "bitsa" station concept is always at the back of my mind. There are layout concepts he created that I look at time after time and think "One day..."

What you suddenly realise though is it wasn't about those plans. It was about his ability to make the once esoteric fine-scale concept, in some form, available to all of us, and within the capability of the most ham-fisted of us. 

Much will be written of his legacy, but his real legacy will be seen in attics and spare bedrooms, scout halls and the NEC for many many years to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment