Wednesday 19 October 2022

So Elder Cottage is sold, STC, and now the race is on to find somewhere to move to. Neither Issy nor I would countenance viewing properties before we had sold.

We need to be near Market Drayton, and I have a feeling we are looking for a relatively short term property, not the house to see out our days.

What is clear is that we will have to make lots of compromises, partly because of the dearth of houses for sale in our top choices of location.

In a  way, that is a good thing.  First of all there is the health issue, for both of us. There are days here that leave me fighting for breath after dealing with the garden, and Issy, as well as some friends and relatives, needs somewhere with easily accessible facilities. Secondly it simplifies the future of the ELR. well sort of.

I've never wanted a massive line, just one that gives me somewhere to play. And possibly a base for doing other things like visiting other railways.

Teddy is ideal for that, he can fit in the back of a car. I doubt any future line will need to fulfill a practical role, so entertainment and fun becomes the driver.  In fact, I'm seriously thinking of downsizing to 5" gauge for the home line using the track I bought from Steve Purves a few years ago. That makes steam a practical proposition for me.

And talking of Steve and his portable railway empire... 

... He has taken on the custodianship of Tug and the coach. Even here Tug wasn't really a suitable loco. We have joint plans for an upgrade to make it a really useful club loco






2 comments:

  1. Hi James. I hope everything goes as well as possible with the move. We have been contemplating a move, probably to a bungalow, though as necessity is not yet a driving force a delay until the current political and financial 'crap storm' has settled somewhat seems likely.

    I went to the Taunton Exhibition yesterday and spent most of my time chatting to 'Sheep Bloke' who had Bleat Wharf there. Simple, small and a cracking piece of work. I do wonder if as time moves on there is a tension between ambition and what is achievable.

    Anyway I hope everything works out as well as possible for you guys.

    BW

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We had an offer accepted yesterday. The garden is very small, so I think the garden lines will have to be very simple. Then I've never hankered after an "empire", which is why something like Bleat wharf does appeal.

      Delete