Monday 22 April 2024

A Week's Progress

 Living with Gerallt Road is proving to be interesting. Above anything else I have to say there is something important about changing scale to one outside of your comfort zone. It is literally giving me a different perspective, and I do mean that literally. Not least because it is currently at a funny level, which is distorting how I look at it.

How I view the layout, how much my glance can take in, the angle I look at it, and the distance are all different to working in larger scales. And that is making me think differently about composition and scenic construction.

As for actual progress, well, I feel it is a classic case of one step forward, one step backwards as I work out what works and what doesn't.

What I'm struggling with is first of all texture and relief, especially as I move from front to back of the layout. I'm still not sure if I can use printed materials for all the structures. I've built many iterations of the station shelter from Penybontfawr on the TVR using Scalescenes textures, but a bit of me still thinks I should use etched corrugated iron sheet. Mainly because some of the other structures I have in mind are more 3d but will be further into the layout. I'm also questioning whether it is worth modelling things that will be hidden from view 90% of the time. So, for now, I'm not discounting a return to the etched version.


As a result, I'm going through a lot of mock-ups like the one above which was primarily to check if I could live with printed windows on buildings that will actually be facing away from the viewer. It doesn't look great in close-up, but that isn't how it is going to be seen.

As for the composition of the scene, it needs something in the centre foreground. It needs to be something tat anchors the viewer's gaze but without dominating the whole scene.  A disused signal box or a crossing keepers cottage are my first thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment