Layout Design Blodwell Buildings The Art of Compromise Photography Llanrhaiadr Mochnant Scenery Signal Box Baseboards Goods Yard Track 45XX Apa Box EM Lcut Creative Travel Backscene Concepts Railway Exhibitions TVR USA Upwold 14XX Anyrail Bridge Cuba Cycling Fencing Lorry Narrow Gauge Point rodding Points Templot Turnouts West Maryland Books C+L Fiddleyard GWR Hales OO9 Phil Parker Rolling Stock Signals State of the hobby Tillig Warley Weighbridge trams 2012 AC Railbus Albion Yard Allt-y-Graban Rd Apa Valley Balloch Pier Bas Bath Green Park Brickwork Bridgnorth Bryn-y-Felin CSX Charmouth Clarendon Class 25 Cliff Railway Coldrennick Road Corris Crich DCC Disused Railways Dukedog EMGS Edwin Smith Electrics Emett France Gloucestershire & Warwickshire HO Hobbies Hope under Dinmore Hospital Gates Iain Rice Iliffe Stokes Inspiration Ireland Kings Lynn La Baraque Lasercut Leamington & Warwick Locos MSTS Mainly Trains Military Modeling Mishaps N guage NEC OOn3 Percy Pier Railway Porth y Waen Preserved Railways RTR SMP Seend Sentinel Sketchup St Minions Stockholm TGV TRAX Tansey Bank Techniques Technology Tim Horn Trade Trees Ultrascale Veldhoveh 1935 Watertank Williamsport diorama manning wardle painting procrastination pug ships simulators
Saturday, 16 May 2020
Now is the Wintereley of our...
In the last post I mentioned I was going to dig out my stash of Winterely couplings.
Well I did.
Because the design is quite complicated, and as the instructions point out, none of the parts are instantly recognisable on first acquaintance, I wasn't expecting my first attempt at building one to go to plan.
And it didn't.
But, and it is big but, I've learned a lot and I'm going to have another go, and perhaps try a couple of improvements.
The basic idea seems increasingly workable, my problems were partly down to my own clumsiness working with small parts when you don't know exactly how they are meant to fit.
Part of that is also down to the instructions, They are OK, but a little vague at a couple of key points.
There are a couple of places where I don't think the use of an etched component is the best way forward, or where I would do things in a slightly different order and perhaps use a jig.
Strangest of all to me, unless I'm missing something obvious, is the need to mount them so low down that for most wagons, as the instructions point out, you need to provide 2mm of packing under the floor. This seems to be a legacy of the original 4mm version being designed to quickly replace an old style Bachmann coupling fitting.
So I'm definitely going to give them another go, using the other ends of my poor test bed wagons