Thursday 13 June 2013

Withdrawal Symptoms

I've been locked down in a hotel "somewhere in Europe"  all week working on a deal. I have to admit my mind has occasionally wandered to thoughts related to model railways.

Sometimes it is important to remember it is a hobby and to appreciate that. When your head is buzzing with ideas and problems that need effort to resolve it can be remarkably helpful to focus on something else instead.

It is frustrating though when one of the railway related problems falls into place in your head and you can't just pick up a scalpel and some plastic card and fix it there and then but it does give you something to look forward to at the weekend.

In this case it is window construction that has been on my mind. I think a couple of simple jigs are needed to aid production.  That and a change of mindset so that I build the windows first and then make a hole to fit the window rather than the other way about.

Now I know that must sound obvious to some of you but it reveals a flaw in the way I sometimes think, and I'm sure I'm not unique in this. It is tempting to be constrained by a perceived limit in your ability. I worry about my ability to accurately hack out correctly sized holes from Wills sheet. Therefore I attempt to compensate for that by building window-frames in situ to suit the size of the hole I have produced, which just compounds the inaccuracy. Instead of compromising around what I'm worst at doing and building in more and more errors I should be doing the opposite to ensure the impact of those things I'm bad at is minimised.

No comments:

Post a Comment